Meaty Italian Pork Roast.
You can cook Meaty Italian Pork Roast using 10 ingredients and 11 steps. Here is how you achieve it.
Ingredients of Meaty Italian Pork Roast
- It's 1 of 2-3lb pork shoulder (or pork butt, depending on where you live.
- It's 1 Tbsp of some fat, either coconut oil or lard works well.
- It's 1 tsp of each of red pepper flakes, thyme and oregano.
- You need 1/8 of th tsp each ground cloves and gd nutmeg.
- Prepare 2 tsp of each salt and pepper.
- You need 1 of whole onion, diced small.
- It's Half of a head of garlic, cloves peeled and rough chopped.
- You need 1 Tbsp of e/ tomato paste & anchovy paste (or fish sauce).
- Prepare 1 of celery stalk or whole green pepper, same as onion.
- It's 1 of med carrot, diced small OR 8-10 raisins, depending on size.
Meaty Italian Pork Roast step by step
- Place crock pot on Low and/or for 6 hrs. Place your fresh or frozen meat in it. No need to defrost if it's frozen. Cover..
- In a 10" skillet, sautee the veggies, except the garlic and raisins (if using), until they're translucent, about 3 or 4 minutes..
- Add the spices, ALL of them, except the garlic and raisins..
- When they're aromatic and heated through (about a minute), add your garlic and keep sautéeing until the garlic begins to cook (30 more seconds)..
- Add the anchovy paste, if using. Stir until it's mixed in. Maybe another minute or so..
- When the mix is done, pour it over the meat. Put the cover back on..
- Add about half or 3/4 cup of water (or low sodium stock of your choice) into the skillet and add the fish sauce (oyster sauce works too) if you're not using anchovy paste) and tomato paste. Over the medium flame, stir all of it until dissolved. Make sure to get the fond mixed in as well (that's whatever is stuck to the pan). Adjust for salt..
- Pour the "sauce" over the meat, then add the raisins, if using them. Cover the crock pot and leave it alone..
- When the meat is fork tender, add potatoes and carrots if you wish. I like to add broccoli, but make it your own..
- Please note: don't add carrots AND raisins. They both add sweetness, necessary for this dish to taste meaty. Don't add sugar. It's too one-dimensional in taste. But too much sweetness will make this dish taste like dessert!.
- One more note: if you like, you can add tomatoes, either fresh or canned. 1 lb of fresh or 1-14.5 oz can of crushed canned tomatoes works. Use the liquid from the can to make the "sauce"..