You can have Classic Chili using 22 ingredients and 11 steps. Here is how you achieve it.
Ingredients of Classic Chili
- You need of Veggies.
- You need 1 tbsp of vegetable oil (for sautéing).
- Prepare 1 of large white onion (chopped).
- You need 2 of bell peppers - 1 red & 1 green (chopped).
- Prepare 1/2 cup of celery (chopped).
- It's of Meat.
- You need 2 lb of lean ground beef.
- It's of Sauce.
- You need 30 oz of tomato sauce (no/low sodium).
- You need 28 oz of crushed tomatoes (undrained).
- You need 2 tbsp of Worcestershire sauce.
- Prepare 3 tbsp of chili powder.
- Prepare 1 tbsp of garlic powder.
- You need 2 tsp of ground cumin.
- You need 1 tsp of Italian seasoning.
- Prepare 1 tsp of smoked paprika.
- Prepare 1 tsp of chipotle pepper flakes / regular red pepper flakes (adjust.
- Prepare of (to taste) salt.
- It's of (to taste) pepper.
- You need 1 cup of water (if needed).
- Prepare of Beans (OPTIONAL).
- Prepare 32 oz of red kidney beans (rinsed and drained).
Classic Chili step by step
- Prep ingredients..
- Heat a soup kettle or Dutch oven. Once hot, heat the oil in prep for sautéing the veggies..
- Add the Veggies and sauté until tender. ~15 min..
- If you need the room, remove the Veggies from the pan. Brown the Meat. ~15 min..
- When the meat is brown, drain the juices and oil from the pan..
- Stir in the Sauce ingredients with the Meat and Veggies. TIP: start light on the salt and pepper. More can be added later, to taste. Only add the water if the consistency is looking thicker than you prefer..
- Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer for at least 20 minutes. Stir occasionally..
- The flavor develops more over time, so if you have the time, continue simmering for another 30-120 minutes (or more!).
- Taste periodically through cooking. Add salt, pepper, and/or water as needed..
- If you're someone who likes Beans in their chili, add them 10-20 minutes before you're ready to eat. Simmer until the Beans are heated through. Otherwise, skip this step!.
- Dish up and enjoy!!!.