Johnny Marzetti. I don't remember where I found this recipe, but it had been in my recipe box for quite awhile and I finally decided to try it. Bring a large pot of lightly salted water to a boil. Run cold water over the pasta to stop pasta from cooking further.
We use elbow macaroni, and added extra cheese as a personal preference. Kids and adults alike gobbled it up, the casserole was cleaned out quite quickly. Will definitely be making this again! You can have Johnny Marzetti using 11 ingredients and 11 steps. Here is how you achieve that.
Ingredients of Johnny Marzetti
- You need 1 lb of ground beef, Italian sausage or mix.
- It's 1 of onion.
- Prepare 8 oz of mushrooms.
- Prepare 1 of green bell pepper (optional).
- Prepare 8 oz of macaroni or rotini pasta.
- Prepare 8 oz of shredded cheese (I use cheddar & mozzarella. Use more if you like).
- It's of -- Tomato Sauce --.
- Prepare 1 can of tomatoes (14 oz).
- You need 2 tsp of Italian herbs (oregano, basil, thyme, etc).
- It's 2 clove of garlic.
- Prepare 1 Tbsp of olive oil.
This easy Johnny Marzetti casserole is a traditional Ohio recipe that is a great make-ahead casserole for potlucks because it serves a crowd! This ground beef and sausage casserole is full of noodles, cheese and Italian flavor. Johnny Marzetti will keep in the fridge for up to a week. Freezer: once dish is cooled completely, wrap plastic wrap and freeze.
Johnny Marzetti instructions
- For a simple, homemade tomato sauce (skip to step 3 if using jarred sauce): Sauté garlic in some olive oil until fragrant. Add a can of tomatoes and sprinkle in a teaspoon or two of Italian herbs..
- Simmer for 5-10 minutes. Add salt & pepper to taste. If it seems a little acidic, add a teaspoon or two of sugar..
- Prepare the rest of the ingredients: Chop the onion and bell pepper, and slice the mushrooms..
- Preheat oven to 180C/350F. Boil pasta and drain..
- Sauté onion in oil until softened, about 3 minutes..
- Add mushrooms and fry until juices are released, about 5 minutes. If using the green peppers, sauté them along with the mushrooms too..
- Add beef and cook, stirring, breaking up clumps, until no longer red..
- Remove from heat and mix in tomato sauce and all but about 1/2 cup of cheese (you need some to top the casserole)..
- Transfer to a large, greased baking dish and add pasta. Toss gently to mix. Scatter remaining cheese on top (probably need more than I have here in the photo!).
- Bake, uncovered, until browned and bubbling (30 - 35 minutes)..
- Done! Dish out and enjoy!!.
You can store this dish in the freezer for up to a month. Johnny Marzetti Recipe Ingredients: Macaroni, tomato pasta sauce, ground beef, onion, cheese. Johnny Marzetti "A delicious and simple meal made with elbow macaroni & ground beef in tomato juice sauce" Johnny marzetti is a common dinner dish from the area I live. The original recipe when it was first served here in Columbus, Ohio was at Marietta's Restaurant. Ohioan Teresa Marzetti was the first person to serve the casserole Johnny Marzetti in their family restaurant.