Queso Taco Pasta Bake. Any shape pasta would work for this recipe — elbow macaroni or penne would be great! This pasta bake is full of flavor but not spicy — perfect for the family dinner table! This Queso Taco Pasta Bake is the perfect weeknight dinner for your whole family!
It's full of simple everyday pantry items we usually have and full of great. Homemade queso gives this satisfying beef and pasta bake an amazing Mexican flavor kick. Lighter Cheesy Taco Pasta Bake loaded with juicy beef, beans, pasta etc., smothered in an incredible creamy Enchilada-esque sauce that is out of this Eat the taco pasta straight from the skillet or pour into a casserole dish and smother with extra cheese. You can have Queso Taco Pasta Bake using 17 ingredients and 12 steps. Here is how you achieve it.
Ingredients of Queso Taco Pasta Bake
- You need 8 oz. of pasta (I used Radiatore, but any small shape works).
- You need 2 tbsp. of olive oil, divided.
- You need 1/2 of onion, diced.
- Prepare 2 cloves of garlic, minced.
- It's 1/2 lb. of ground beef.
- Prepare 1 cup of black beans (I used canned, drained and rinsed).
- You need 1 can (14.5 oz.) of diced tomatoes, undrained.
- It's 1/2 tsp. of chili powder.
- It's 1 tsp. of cumin.
- You need to taste of salt and pepper.
- You need pinch of cayenne pepper.
- Prepare 4 tbsp. of unsalted butter.
- You need 1/4 cup of all purpose flour.
- It's 1 1/2 cup of chicken broth.
- Prepare 2 1/2 cups of shredded cheese, divided (I use a mix of cheddars).
- It's 1/2 cup of salsa (I used mild, but medium or hot would be good).
- You need of chopped cilantro, for garnish.
Bake to golden, bubbly cheesy deliciousness. MY CHANGES TO RECIPE: I completely omitted the salsa. Instead of adding cooking sauce to cheese sauce I added it to the beef mixture. This Taco Pasta Bake is a curious alternative to your typical Bolognese or Carbonara.
Queso Taco Pasta Bake instructions
- Fill a large pot with water and add 1 tbsp. of olive oil. Place on burner with the heat on high and bring to a boil. At the same time, heat the remaining tbsp. of olive oil in a large skillet..
- Once water reaches a boil, add your pasta and cook according to package directions, stirring occasionally. About the same time, add the onions to the skillet and cook, stirring occasionally until translucent..
- Add the garlic to the skillet next and cook another minute or so, until fragrant. Then add the ground beef and cook until completely brown. Drain any excess grease, if needed..
- About this time, the pasta should be done. Drain the pasta and return to the pot, removed from the heat..
- Add the black beans and diced tomatoes to the skillet with the beef. Next stir in the seasonings. Remove from heat and scrape the meat and bean mix into the pot with the pasta. Stir lightly to mix..
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease an oven proof casserole dish and set aside..
- For the queso: In a medium saucepan, melt the butter on medium heat. Once melted, add the flour a little at a time, whisking constantly as you add it to form a roux. Once all flour is added, allow the roux to simmer for 1 minute, whisking constantly..
- Increase the heat to medium high and slowly begin to whisk in the broth, adding it slowly. Once all the broth is incorporated, allow to come to a simmer. Let simmer, whisking occasionally for 3-4 minutes, until thickened..
- Remove from heat and stir in 1 1/2 cup of the shredded cheese. Once it's all melted in, stir in the salsa..
- Stir the queso cheese sauce into the pot with the pasta and meat mix and stir to combine. Pour into the prepared casserole dish and top with the remaining 1 cup of shredded cheese..
- Bake for 5 minutes, then set the oven to broil and broil for 3-5 minutes, until the cheese begins to turn golden and bubbly..
- Garnish with the chopped cilantro if desired. Refrigerate any leftovers..
It combines the spicy flavors you'd find in a taco by having them dance merrily on a bed of cheesy penne. To assemble, place some pork on the tortillas, followed by a few pieces of pineapple, a sprinkling of onion, a pinch of cilantro. Learn how to make Taco Pasta Bake. Cheesy taco beef baked underneath a crunchy tortilla chip layer then loaded with classic taco toppings - This truly is the ultimate taco pasta! Easy Taco Bake - A pasta dish that tastes like a taco!