Sausage Calzones. Sausage Calzones Recipe. this link is to an external site that may or may not meet accessibility guidelines. These individual calzones are great to keep in the freezer for a quick meal at a moment's notice. It's easier to make this family favourite than you think with our recipe for spicy sausage calzones, plus they're freezer-friendly.
Transfer the cooked crumbled sausage to a paper towel lined plate to drain. How we make sausage and spinach calzones. Pretty simple to make but the dough takes some time. You can cook Sausage Calzones using 25 ingredients and 5 steps. Here is how you achieve it.
Ingredients of Sausage Calzones
- Prepare of Calzone Dough:.
- It's 1 tbsp. of instant dry yeast.
- It's 1 tbsp. of brown sugar.
- Prepare 1 tsp. of salt.
- You need 1 1/3 cup of warm water.
- It's 2 tbsp. of olive oil.
- It's 3 cups of all purpose flour + more as needed.
- It's of Sausage Filling:.
- Prepare 1 tbsp. of olive oil.
- It's 1 lb. of ground italian sausage.
- You need 1 of green bell pepper, diced.
- You need 1 of red bell pepper, diced.
- It's 1/2 of red onion, diced.
- Prepare 2 cloves of garlic, minced.
- It's 1/4 tsp. of each salt, pepper, dried basil.
- It's 1 cup of freshly shredded mozzarella cheese.
- Prepare 1 cup of freshly shredded white cheddar cheese.
- It's 1 of large egg, beaten.
- It's of Marinara Dipping Sauce:.
- It's 1 tbsp. of olive oil.
- It's 1 clove of garlic, minced.
- You need 1 can (16 oz.) of unsalted tomato sauce.
- It's 1 tsp. of dried basil.
- You need 1/2 tsp. of brown sugar.
- It's 1/4 tsp. of each pepper, salt, onion powder.
This Sausage and Cheese Calzone has a made-from-scratch dough that's stuffed with flavorful sausage and cheese for a delicious dinner that is sure to please. This recipe is sponsored by Jimmy. Calzones are traditional Italian stuffed breads. This calzone with sausage and broccoli rabe is also bursting with mozzarella, Parmesan, garlic, and red pepper flakes.
Sausage Calzones step by step
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with a dough hook attachment, place the yeast, brown sugar, salt, water, oil and 3 cups of flour. Set the speed to low and let it go until the dough starts to come together. Continue to let it knead until the dough forms a soft ball that pulls away from the sides of the bowl. It should be tacky, but shouldn't really stick to the skin. Add in more flour if you need to, to get it to that point in 1/4 cup increments. I usually end up using close to 3 3/4 cups..
- Place the dough into a lightly greased bowl and place a clean towel over it. Let it rise for 1 hour, until double in size. About halfway through rise time, go ahead and start the marinara sauce and the sausage filling. For the marinara, get the oil heating over medium heat in a small pot. Once it's hot, add the garlic and cook until just fragrant. Then stir in the tomato sauce, brown sugar and seasonings. Once it begins to bubble, lower the heat and let it gently simmer until calzones are done..
- For the sausage filling, heat the oil over medium heat. Once it's hot, add the sausage and cook, breaking it up as you go, until it is browned throughout. Then add the peppers and onion and cook until they have softened up a bit. Add the garlic and seasonings and cook just another couple of minutes before removing the pan from the heat and setting it aside. Preheat the oven to 400°F and line a large pan with parchment paper..
- Once the dough is done rising, turn it out onto a large table or counter. Seperate it into 4 equal sized balls. One at a time, roll each ball out into a 12" circle. Once it's rolled out, place 1/4 of the sausage mix into one side of the circle, leaving room along the edges. Then sprinkle 1/4 cup each of white cheddar and mozzarella over the meat. Stretch the other side of the dough circle over the meat and cheese and pinch the two sides closed. Then fold and tuck the ends firmly together..
- Repeat with each of the dough balls. Place all calzones on the prepared baking pan and use a sharp knife to cut 3 slits in each calzone. Then brush the beaten egg all over each one. Bake for 15-20 minutes, until they are golden brown. Then remove the marinara from the heat. Let the calzone sit for just a few minutes before serving..
Sorta like a folded-over pizza slice. Use refrigerated dough to make our Sausage Calzone in a snap. This Sausage Calzone is so easy to make, you'll wonder why you waited so long to try! Meanwhile, in a skillet, cook sausage until no longer pink; drain. Add spinach, cheeses, parsley& pepper; mix well.