You can cook Firehouse Chili using 16 ingredients and 11 steps. Here is how you achieve that.
Ingredients of Firehouse Chili
- You need 1 1/2 tsp of ground cumin.
- You need 5 lb of beef brisket or stewing beef (cubed).
- It's 6 clove of garlic.
- You need 4 of jalapenos.
- You need 2 medium of habanero peppers (optional and with caution).
- Prepare 2 medium of onion, chopped.
- You need 1/2 cup of chili powder.
- Prepare 3 tbsp of pure chili powder.
- You need 1 1/2 tsp of coriander.
- Prepare 4 cup of beef broth.
- You need 1 can of 35 oz italian chopped tomatoes.
- Prepare 1 can of 6 oz tomato paste.
- It's 3 tbsp of oregano.
- It's 2 bunch of scallions.
- It's 1 of sour cream.
- Prepare lb of bacon.
Firehouse Chili step by step
- Mince the garlic, and dice the onions and peppers ahead of time..
- Cube and brown beef. Set aside..
- In a medium to large stock pot, Saute the onions and garlic until tender.
- Add the jalapenos (and habeneros) continuing to soften all the ingredients (5 mins).
- Add both the regular and pure chili powder to the pot and stir..
- Add the tomatoes, tomato paste, beef broth, cumin, coriander, and oregano to the pan and bring to a boil..
- (Optional/caution) depending on the taste/tolerance of the consumer, you can get creative here...I have, in the past, steeped into the chili crushed dried various peppers (piquin, etc.) for the rest of the cooking process in order to kick it up. If you're not used to spicy food...SKIP THIS STEP..
- Cover and continue to cook on low to medium low for about 3 to 4 hours..
- Remove the steeped hot pepper spices (if necessary) and your ready to go.
- Salt and pepper to taste..
- Serve garnished with sour cream, scallions, bacon (everything is better with bacon), etc..